Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Exerts from my "Canterbury Tale," and Vision.

"Hark now prim company, hearken to this tale

For not a word is spoke in vain but well

For you to take to heart what is spoke. Lo!

The tale begins!"

[...]

"At noon the poet sits in his parlor

Looking over the infested harbor,

Bustling with the lives of men so low,

That to converse one must honor forgo.

Fostering contempt—his paint and platter—

Contempt for the lowborn, layman ladder."

[...]

"Lone the poet calling Melpomene,

Teary eyed, besought by Nyx, and finding

To lust with pen easier than pining

With the times in truth and sobriety."

[...]

“'Play on! My heart does not afford me rest,

With luck your melodies shall sooth distress.'

But fore the harp was crooned or coyly pressed

There sank a shadow by pass of Erebus"

[...]

"Be gone thou my words, my silken-sheets,

Thou art sin stained garments of verse—a hearse

For my love past, a precession that speaks

Of past defeats and love ill-spent, accursed."

[...]

"Thou art an ardent declaration, fain

Of spite’s ill-gains and stains"

[...]

"My ivory tower of verse looming high

That beckoned the pagan hearts, 'Hither—nigh!'

Shall topple and tumble to ruin"


(For Chaucer's Canterbury Tales our class was given the option: write a six page tale or a reflection essay. Over break I attempted a Christian tale with pagan elements called "Thaetus." This was influenced by the Knights tale, who, being Christian and of the highest social rank, gives a tale that has many pagan characters. I had hoped to gain insight through this process into why he does this. The Story was as follows: Thaetus is a poet who is quite immoderate with his emotions and it is this unbridled passion that produces the conflict in the story. The tale was to show a few elements of emotions, (1) their potentially deceptive nature, (2) irrational nature, and then finally (3) the beautiful fruit and necessity of a heart focused on God in living a godly life. Now Thaetus, for the sake of art and pleasure, indulges in every emotional sensation that comes his way, being a man who habitually sulks in sorrow, and to gluts in laughter (however temporal), and so on and so forth. At the heart of the story I wanted to set Matthew 5:38-42 and Proverbs 4:23. The way in which I intended to achieve this, was to created conflict--namely anger: Thaetus is severely wronged and responds in anger, an anger that many would consider righteous, but as the wind carries the chaff, so is he carried by these passion. Most of the message in short is: Being right does not purify a wrong attitude or behavior. It is more dangerous for a Christian (or more universally, a man in general) when he is right in a conflict than when he is wrong, because he is more likely to become bitter, more reluctant to let go of an offense and forgive, and likely to be deeply hostel when someone has cheated him or taken advantage of him. A Christian is more likely to sin by his reactions than his actions--perhaps this is one reason why we are to to turn the other cheek--for what the devil can do with our anger. To add more elements to the story I added a character named Tactus, a daemon who steals/collects faces. At Thaetus' severely uncouth behavior Tactus is given permission--nay, orders (which he joyfully exploits) to seize the poet's face (that is, literally rip it off...I thought it appropriate to the image in my head to have him perform such a task for his master). So when Tactus, the face stealing daemon, comes to Thaetus (who is in the very act of his lewd, unsightly poetry, fostering contempt) he is terrified, disoriented, and sick as he has his crime and punishment reported to him. Due to certain rules that Tactus must work by, Thaetus is given time to consider his ways. During this time of deliberation he must offer a heartfelt repentance, but he finds that he is unable to change his own heart. He must "safeguard his heart," but how? Such is his dilemma. He then engages in conversation with various past poets--that is, the faces of past poets that Tactus has in his sack, but he finds them to be of little to no help, seeing that they all failed to find the answer to their pressing dilemma. Although, they do offer their attempts as examples and demonstrate the ways in which one cannot succeed in change his heart. In the end all is well and quelled. I am sure I am leaving more out, but if you are at all curious or have any advice or questions, I would love to hear them. God Bless.)

5 Comments:

Blogger MK Reynolds said...

Fascinating story, James!
So, (in regards to the anger that is being interacted with in the story) if there is ever a righteous anger, is that a "high" emotion? Or should it transition to a different emotion, with time?

4:36 PM  
Blogger A.E.B. said...

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing as MK in regard to righteous anger.
I was also wondering if Tactus only steals the faces of poets, or of others as well. Finally, is taking the poet's face symbolic of something specific, or just a horrible punishment?

Interesting story, Sir. I'd like to read a fuller version sometime. The picture in my head of Thaetus sitting and wallowing in his verse reminds me of the beginning of Boethius' Consolation.

I hope you are well, friend. We should still go to the Getty.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Chelsea White said...

Beautifully written, James. Once again, Your writing blows me away. I don't even know what to say about it- no intelligent responses or questions. :) But I did want to say that I appreciated the depth of thought and care that went into it. Thank you for a thought provoking post!

5:19 PM  
Blogger Theophilus Christmas said...

To both Miss Reynolds and Miss Milczewsky,
I am sorry for my rather tardy reply and implore your forgiveness. I should like to offer you a thoughtful answer to such questions, but in honesty, I have not thought the story through sufficiently, and must deliberate and respond at a later time when both my schedule and mind would be able to appease your inquiries. Ha, I did not realize the similarities between Boethius and Thaetus. Quite pleasant. And I would be happy to give you the completed version, that is, when it is completed. I have quite a few filler stanzas that merely contain basic ideas for structure. I will work on it over break. Thank you for your kind words and questions, they are very much appreciated. God Bless Ladies.

To Chelsea,
You are quite kind, I am glad you enjoy the stanzas. If there is good in it, glory to God Christian, for good is of God and not of man. I am curious though, when shall you be posting your stories and poetry? I do not mean to irk you or cause you any other form of discomfort, but if you would not mind, I would like to read more. Though of course, only if you want to, there is no obligation. Perhaps you may e-mail them to me? I hope so. God Bless Christian. May we forever rest in the hope, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved" (Romans 10:13). Always keep the faith. Fight the good fight. Hold fast to the Lord--our joy and salvation. Excelsior Christian! God Bless.

11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i miss you, James.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home